Monday, December 1, 2008

Leaving One Home for Another



I am sorry there has been a gap in my postings.  We left Uganda Friday night, after a day at the Nile River and a special celebration dinner.  The Nile was fun...a little too much water for a Black woman who can't swim, but it's one of those things I guess I can check off my "things to do in life" list.

So I am back in Birmingham and it has taken some time to accept not being in Uganda.  In a way, I feel guilty leaving.  I know I have a life to live here, but I spent the whole plane ride home thinking there must be something more I can do.  Everyday we packed up and left a village was difficult, but leaving for good was quite hard.  I have had a hard time sleeping the past couple of nights, because my heart just hurts for the children we left behind.  One of my team members said it best when she said, "you wish you could just take them all home and give them a shot at life."  

I find myself wanting to look at my pictures over and over again so I don't forget anything. Spending ten days in service to God's people is the type of experience you just don't want to forget.  What has been frustrating is trying to explain the magnitude of what I saw and lived for ten days.  There just aren't words powerful enough to do the experience any justice. Uganda isn't a glamorous place.  I don't think it is one of the country's in Africa where people go to vacation, you won't find celebrities there, you won't even find too many missionary groups there.  It's a place that has a lot of pain from the past, but so much hope for the future.  It's a place where you can walk into any of the villages we went to and see God at work.  A place where the people are kind and warm and so proud of their country.

I told someone today, if I could go back to Uganda next month I would. I have read about people having life defining experiences and for most they seem to come a little later in life. What a privilege for mine to come so early in my life, because now it will help shape my marriage one day, how I will raise my children, how I view the purpose of my life, and much more.

I want to say thank you so much to all who have been so supportive of this mission trip.  From your prayers to the financial support and emails while I was away.  I appreciate it all!  Please remember Uganda and I beg of you, if you have the time and money at any point in your life, please visit Africa.  Whether Black or White, your life will be changed forever!

God bless...

Natalie

No comments: